Monday, January 23, 2012

A Graduate Course in Fatherhood

My parents divorced when I was small
So I never knew my father at all
He visited last before I was a teen
But his regular presence was never seen

So I grew up and promised myself each day
I would never treat my children that way
And now that I have sons of my own
I cannot believe they are already grown

When they were small I tried to be
Something my father never was to me
The thing that matters most in the end
Is choosing to be father instead of friend

Fathers teach right from wrong
Friends just try to get along
Fathers have the strength to say
Do these things to be a man some day

For all the things I was never taught
And all the battles my sons and I fought
Despite the pain I have to say
I would not do it any other way

No comments:

Post a Comment